This course will cover effective evaluation, diagnosing, and treatment of neck and thoracic pain related to the cervical spine. This course will review the current evidence for cervical spine treatment. Course will discuss red flags and safety concerns when utilizing manual therapy, especially manipulation or thrust joint mobilization of the cervical and thoracic spine. The lab components will allow for interactive learning of manipulations, nerve glide techniques and mobility/ motor control concepts of the cervicothoracic spine.
1. Understand the risk factors associated with spinal manipulation and be able to screen patients properly using a thorough history and targeted physical examination.
2. Understand the strengths and limitations of current special tests for both ligamentous and vascular conditions.
3. Perform a thorough objective examination using clinical practice guidelines and current best evidence.
4. Demonstrate an excellent understanding of current evidence based practice in regards to manual therapy and thrust and non-thrust joint mobilization techniques in the treatment of patients with neck pain.
5. Demonstrate proper technique with cervical mobilization and thrust manipulation to the cervical and thoracic spine and nerve glides.
6. Demonstrate proper technique with all cervical and thoracic mobility drills, exercises, and nerve glides
8:00 - 9:00am Subjective Exam, Clinical Reasoning, Red flags
9:00 - 9:30am Cervicothoracic Examination
9:30 - 10:00am Examination Lab
10:00 -10:30am Diagnosing and Manual Therapy
10:30 - 11:00am Cervical Manipulation Safety
11:00 - 12:00pm Cervical Mobilization
12:00 - 1:00pm Lunch
1:00 - 1:30pm Cervical Manipulation
1:30 - 2:30pm Cervical mobility/motor control
2:30 - 2:45pm Break
2:45 - 3:30pm Lab – Mid thoracic manipulation
3:45 - 4:30pm Thoracic mobility/motor control
4:30 - 5:00pm Lab – Break Out
8:00 - 8:30am Patient expectation and HEP compliance
8:30 - 9:30am Upper Cervical spine: Risk/ligament testing
9:30 - 10:00am Lab - Instability testing, CN test, BP
10:00 - 11:00am Upper Cervical Manipulation
11:00 - 12:00pm Lab: Manipulation Review
12:00 - 1:00pm Lunch
1:00 - 1:45pm Junctional Manipulation
1:45 - 2:00pm Break
2:00 - 2:45pm Neural Mobilization
2:45 - 3:15pm Discussion
3:15 - 4:00pm Open Lab: review closing period.
$420 with Proof of Current Student ID